Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

17 posts, 13 members
MelW
6 posts
I've never used a highlighter & was wondering what anyone would recommend for a beginner that is affordable (under $25) but still does a really good job :)?? Would love your opinions!!
RamblingRose
1280 posts
Personally, I prefer a powder highlighter to a cream or liquid formula. The powder one that I have is from Coastal Scents which I ordered via Amazon (BH Cosmetics is pretty much the same thing - same formula, similar packaging, etc. just a different brand name). I also tried Beauty Crop Highlighting Cream (it came in a beauty subscription box) which was a liquid/runny cream formula but I wasn't a fan. It was far too gold and shimmery for my liking.
Koni
444 posts
Love a good highlight! You could possibly look into ELF Baked Highlighters, Makeup Revolution Baked Highlighters and Essence So Glow. They're budget friendly and give a gorgeous glow.
itsclearascrystal
2055 posts
I quite like the Australis Highlights one. I prefer it in gold, but the pearl is nice too. I don't like spending too much on a highlighter either, so I might see if I can find the Essence one somewhere when I next need to replace my highlighter.
MelW
6 posts
That's great, thanks everyone for your help, you've given me a few to look into & check out, much appreciated xx :)
Macs
5351 posts
Im using Bossy highlighter for loose. Elf for pressed. The Body Shop for cream and Maybelline for liquid. Experiment with different mediums and test what works for you. 
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
I'm also using the Bossy Highlighter it's amazing! Loose powder, and I'm also using a highlighter in my LA Girl spice palette. It comes with two shades of blush, a bronze and a highlight, these are pressed powders.
Rezee
1964 posts
Have you got any eyeshadow palettes? You can use the light colours as highlighters too. Otherwise I think the above suggestions are great. If you could stretch your budget another $10, I'd suggest mary louminizer by the balm. That is a great highlighter!
Sarahbeautynz
1031 posts
Agree with Rezee on both counts, heaps of eyeshadows can make awesome unexpected highlighters! And if you don't have one then Mary Lou is probably the cheapest highlighter I own. Although you could always go out and find a single shadow that'd make a good highlighter, google will have loads of suggestions around which ones to go for :)
trudijoy
8375 posts
I have about 5 highlighters and the cheap and cheerful one is Essence Soo Glow. Its $5/6 & a cream to powder highlighter. It comes in 2 shades; a goldy tone and a pinkish tone - i have the latter. I apply it with a foundatiom brush and its phenomenal for the price
Rajvee2588
221 posts
This is really helpful post....because I don't own any highlighter and I am also beginners for highlighter.
MelW
6 posts
Cool thanks guys...I have heard good things about the Mary Lou highlighter..I've been tempted to get that one..maybe I could stretch my budget hehe. I like the sound of the baked highlighters...have found that my powdered eye shadows are a bit powdery for my liking. Do the cream/liquid ones set really fast? I did have an ELF face whip thing and found it too drying and couldnt really blend it out.
MelW
6 posts
Cool thanks guys...I have heard good things about the Mary Lou highlighter..I've been tempted to get that one..maybe I could stretch my budget hehe. I like the sound of the baked highlighters...have found that my powdered eye shadows are a bit powdery for my liking. Do the cream/liquid ones set really fast? I did have an ELF face whip thing and found it too drying and couldnt really blend it out.
trudijoy
8375 posts
The elf one doesnt dry super fast, its easy to work with. My Benefit liquid ones take a little longer
mallomiss
569 posts
I've tried a cream one, can't remember the brand (got it in a Goodiebox) but it's super runny & I find it near on impossible to blend out.
I'm currently using a powder one from So Susan (also got in Goodiebox) which I love. It builds up nicely so if I only want a subtle highlight it's great but can also go all out on it! 
I'm going to pan it really fast though as it's a duo compact with the highlighter on one side & a bronzer on the other. I'm no where near as heavy handed with the bronzer.
I'm keen to get my hands on some others though to try out. I love highlighting!  
MissQT
1547 posts
Glad I found this thread as I don't use highlighter but would like to start.
k3r1pakai
1185 posts
I enjoy my Makeup Revolution radiance highlighting palette apparently a dupe for Hourglass palette it's pretty darn good for underestimate brightness and the wow highlights. Koni does suggest great budget friendly brands but if wanting a absolutely great long lasting go Mary Louminzer by The Balm. A champagne shade highlight that has you glowing for God, I use both the balm and Makeup Revolution alternatively 

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!