Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Foundation matching

12 posts, 9 members
sharzbarz
20 posts
Hey you lovely beauty gurus!!
I'm a complete novice with this subject. However I have decided that now is the time to move on from BB creams and actually start using foundation. After reading through some of the forum posts here I have narrowed it down to Estee Lauder double wear, Revlon Color stay and Rimmel stay matte.
Only problem is I have NO idea where to start in terms of finding my perfect match (color and skin type wise). I am in Hamilton, so any suggestions to where I can go without feeling like a complete newb would be freaking amazing. I've always avoided getting my foundation color match because I feel inferior asking someone and have no idea how how to do it properly.
Tia xx
_Nicole_
124 posts
I absolutely LOVE revlon colour stay. Iv been useing it for about 5+ years and an in no hurry to change my foundation. I'm no real help as to where you should go as I'm not im hamilton. But recently (about 1month ago) I got my foundation colour matched and I went to farmers and also our local chemist. I wanted two different opinions to make sure I was getting the rite colour and the ladys were to helpful .
Good luck :)
_Nicole_
124 posts
I absolutely LOVE revlon colour stay. Iv been useing it for about 5+ years and an in no hurry to change my foundation. I'm no real help as to where you should go as I'm not im hamilton. But recently (about 1month ago) I got my foundation colour matched and I went to farmers and also our local chemist. I wanted two different opinions to make sure I was getting the rite colour and the ladys were to helpful .
Good luck :)
sharzbarz
20 posts
Thanks for that! Good to know I'm on the right path then with the Revlon colour stay lol.I didn't think about going to two places to make sure I was getting matched correctly! Massive thanks for that idea.
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
If you are shy pop into a chemist. They are normally quieter. Standing in a store with lots of people watching or looking can be scary! Then you have a starting point.
Or grab a friend for a shipping day :)
janini9
341 posts
I went into Life Pharmacy and they colour matched Estée Lauder Double wear. The woman was most helpful and tried a couple on my face, narrowed it down with my input and I went home with enough for a few total face applications. It meant that I could try out the foundation in a variety of lights, see how it performed over the day and the reaction on my skin. I love it and will be purchasing. The match was perfect.
chikoboo
3402 posts
Just a few tips for you that I have learnt in regards to buying foundation, you need to get to know your skin first or you get baffled by all the different types available.  

What skin type are you, if you are dry skin then cream based foundations are great as are some liquid foundations that are designed for dry skin but heavy foundations such as double wear are very drying so would be best avoided, the same with powder foundations. If you have normal skin then you have the whole spectrum to play with.

Then you have to think about your skin tone, take a look at the veins on your wrist, what colour are they through your skin.  If blue then you are cool toned, green then you are warm toned, somewhere in the middle can be a middle ground like myself my veins look like a blue/green hue with my skin being porcelain fair. 

Going into a department store or chemist and chatting with the sales people there about colour matching is awesome as you are going to get the right colour at least, but go in without makeup on as you need to colour match to your chin not hand or wrist.

I am sure there is a more in depth article or two in the BR archives somewhere but this is what I personally know.   Good luck, going with some back up knowledge helps you narrow the field and hopefully get it right first time, but don't be disheartened I went through probably 10 foundations before I found the right formula and shade for me. 
SandieNZ
424 posts
Great advice Kirsty :)

Don't feel embarassed about it Sharzbarz - the shop assistants are there to help and will be more than happy to help you select the right shade.  I agree that knowing your skintone and type will help narrow it down before you go in, whether you want liquid or powder etc.  If you're not sure about it when they match you, ask for a small sample so you can go home and try it in the natural light, for me I've always found it really hard to select something instore and like to test it out first at home so I can double check it in the sunlight etc.  Good luck :)
AmandaJane
1147 posts
If there's a Farmers or Life Pharmacy in Hamilton you can get a colour matched 7 day sample of Double Wear at the moment. I know what you mean though, I didn't want to stand in the store and be colour matched but I went to Life Pharmacy and she did it real quickly and colour matched to my cheek not the inside of my wrist.

I think that's the way to go but I could be wrong, for sure I am no expert. I brought a GWP from Natio last week and they have a tinted moisturiser which is SPF 50 too. I haven't tried mine out yet though. 

I think Chickoboo's advice is good. *looks at veins* now I know too, I felt too silly to ask about it a few weeks ago when I first saw reference to skin tones etc! Thanks for posting this thread :)
pintsize
1072 posts
To follow on from chikoboos advice I found these articles in my favourites :)

Top Tips For Getting The Best Foundation Match

and 

Stick, Liquid, Powder? what's the best format for you?

I hope these help... I know I need to revisit my foundation needs so will be reading them again :)

xx
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
Those articles are a great reference point. I check them too :)
sharzbarz
20 posts
Wow thank you all so much for your advice!

chikoboo, thank you thank you!! I never knew the wrist vein check! Great advice in your comment. 
I live close to Life Pharmacy and Farmers so I might pop in tomorrow. I never realised there were so many options haha. AmandaJane Thanks for the EL Double wear tip! a 7 day sample sounds pretty amazing. 

Woooh pintsize!  I can't believe I didn't find those articles, they will now be my foundation finding bibles!

There's so much research to be done! ?

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!