Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Foundation Caking

27 posts, 16 members
ChristineHoll
152 posts
Is there a way to stop my foundations and BB creams from going cakey? I have Revlon Colourstay which is usually really awesome but then just randomly when I put it on, it was all cakey! I also just got some BB creams from beautynetkorea and I REALLY want to make them work as they're the only BB creams/foundations I've ever tried that keeps my oily t-zone under control but they too are getting a bit cakey.

I haven't changed the way I'm applying them. I always cleanse, moisturise, prime, then apply with a beauty blender. 

Help!!
Jesse
745 posts
Have you tried applying with a foundation brush? I find I don't like using my blender as much as using a brush.
EnyaMUA
1109 posts
Another way to do it is to use some sort of flat top, dense brush! 
Pifithrin
1243 posts
Have you tried the Wayne Goss method i.e. powder first, then foundation? That can often produce a dewier finish
Macs
5351 posts
An old trick I used to do was mix it with day time moisturiser or sunscreen just until I got the right consistency.
ChristineHoll
152 posts
I have tried a foundation brush but it went all streaky so I stuck with the beauty blender. I did think about mixing with moisturiser but was worried it wouldn't give any coverage?
EnyaMUA
1109 posts
It'll still give great coverage if you mix it with a moisturizer. If you want a more dewy finish mix it with an illuminating primer instead c:
chikoboo
3402 posts
I used to have the same problem which would be worse in the winter. Firstly grab some jojoba oil pop that on before you moisturise at night, this oil balances skin so that dry areas are hydrated and oily areas calmed. Up your exfoilation to 3-4 times a week, caking happens to dead skin normally. Give prep time to settle, put on your day cream and let it settle for 10 minutes! I normally get on with my lunch for the day and feed the cats whilst it absorbs into my skin. Same with primer give it time to settle not that long though they are quickly absorbed. Apply foundation with a damp beauty sponge using light dabbing or a flat top kabuki brush to swirl on. Areas you know are going to cake apply a small veil of setting powder. Set with spray and then don't touch your face :)
accidentprone_x
845 posts
I have noticed that some of my foundations don't like specific primers and it doesn't mix together nicely at all. So I just tend to match up the ones I know work well together.
Great tips here ladies  :-)   Thanks x
EnyaMUA
1109 posts
Accidentprone makes an amazing point there. Like with my Maybelline stick foundation I've found it doesn't work with ANY primers. You really need to mix and match to find the right combination. I used to think I could just live with one primer but you really do need to try out a few different types to go with different foundations. Because I have combo skin I like to use a hydrating primer with matte foundations and that stops them from sticking to dry patches so much. 
Pifithrin
1243 posts
accidentprone_x and TraineeMUA have great points here. What it comes down to is you want to ensure that you used a water based primer with a water based foundation, and a silicone based primer with a silicone based foundation. Mixing the two types often does not play too well.
ChristineHoll
152 posts
How do you know if the foundation is water or silicone based? Especially the Korean BB creams... they're a bit of a challenge as it is!

I'm pretty sure my primers are all silicone. I have samples of the smashbox primer, maybelline baby skin, and avon magix (not sure if they sell that anymore, but it's a gel-to-powder formula).
EnyaMUA
1109 posts
With my Korean BB Creams I find it's best to use a water based primer. I own both Liole and Skin79 and they both work wonderfully with the L'Oreal Magic Lumi. 
ChristineHoll
152 posts
TraineeMUA - How do you apply your Lioele? The first time I tried with my fingers it made my primer kind of "peel" and flake off which is why I'm using the blender now.
Pifithrin
1243 posts
Check the ingredients. If a product is silicone-based it will have -cone in the ingredients, for example dimethicone. Water based products will have 'aqua' as an ingredient.

Note also that some water based products have silicones, but they are further down the ingredients list and are a smaller part of the product.

FYI Revlon Colorstay is silicone based

Hope that helped.
EnyaMUA
1109 posts
I use a flat top kabuki brush - it works for all of my foundations and just makes it look really blended and natural. 
accidentprone_x
845 posts
I tend to use the australis original primer with my Revlon colorstay and it always looks amazing together
Lutece
1849 posts
I agree with accident_prone, my sister told me this a while ago when I couldnt get rid of constant cake face
chelseaadelaide
703 posts
Have you tried MAC Fix+ ? That is my go-to product to avoid cakeyness. I wear full coverage foundation so I spray that before I leave the house and it makes it look like I'm wearing far less foundation, without actually losing any coverage. It is available in a smaller size to try it out, or you might be able to try it out at a MAC counter. xx
ChristineHoll
152 posts
I've never actually seen a Mac store before.... I think the closest one to me is in Auckland CBD so it's a mission to get there from the shore. Definitely need to try it sometime though!
alikat
423 posts
ChristineHoll There are MAC stores at Botany and St Lukes which may be easier to get to than the CBD. Fix+ really does return normalicy to the finish. I find its great when I'm tired and I've overapplied my powder. Wayne Goss has some excellent, short, yet highly informative videos on foundation - including one that shows what Fix+ can do. I'll try and find the link.
Julieal
915 posts
I mix mine with a little moisteurizer and find that gets rid of the problem.It gives a nicer cover too. Worth a try.
Mila
1209 posts
Definately a case of finding what works with each foundation but I find I have some foundations that only work for me using a beauty blender and I have some that only work using a stiple brush (I would suggest giving that a go) and just gentle buffing rather than rubbing or circular motions.  I dont have too much success myself with foundation brushes for some reason :)
Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
I had never had a problem with caking untill this winter! Who knows why, because my skin is the most hyrdrated it has even been through winter. But i think fix plus is the way to go, just gives you face a fresh look, which seems to take the cakey-ness away
MissQT
1547 posts
I'm finding that my foundation is going Camry during the day too now that it's winter and my skin is dryer. These are all great tips which I will try. I have found that using coconut oil on my dry patches has helped. I must try jojoba oil next.
tannygirl
3392 posts
Some really good tips about primers shared there. Must keep that in mind.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!