Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Do you ladies prefer?......

27 posts, 22 members
Shana_Banana84
567 posts
When it comes to foundation I know everyone is different.  What is your preference?  Do you prefer a dewey finish or a matte finish and why?  Also what are your top picks in dewey or matte finish?  I have dry skin so prefer a dewey finish.  I use L'Oreal Lumi Magique Foundation.
kirstyj
1732 posts
In the past I have been all about the matte finish, but I think that was probably a remnant from my teenage oily skin days and thinking anything shiney on the face was probably bad. But lately I have been using my Chanel Vitalumiere foundation and it has more of a dewy finish and I love it! I do reckon a dewy type finish looks way more natureal and that way you can mix it up and make it look more matte by putting a powder over it anyway.
trudijoy
8375 posts
If I had to choose, matte, but as long as it makes my skin look nice, I'm easy.  I tend to dust matte powder over whatever base I choose anyway

I have a sample on today - Anna Sui BB, and I'm 100% in love with it.  My usual foundation is Maybelline Better Skin, which I really like.  I'm keen to try Too Faced Born this Way
Rezee
1964 posts
Dewy! I have dry skin. I sometimes wish my skin was more oily so it would look fresher.  My skin just looks dull and I get acne anyway so its not lkke much would change!
Rezee
1964 posts
I haven't found my perfect foundation yet. I like adding highlighter creams to bb cream or foundation for a not so dull and flat look.
Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
100% dewey. I don't even think i currently own a matte foundation.  I also have dry spots and things and i just find matte foundations cling to these patches. However, in summer i opt for a matte finish bb cream because otherwise my face is an oil slick. yuck
Interesting Binary Beauty.  I must say I haven't paid much attention to the change in my skin in different seasons so it would be interesting to know if my preference would change to matte when summer comes around.
Macs
5351 posts
I like to switch it up and use both depending on how I feel that day. 
k3r1pakai
1185 posts
I'm all about the matte.
However I'm thinking perhaps this could be what's causing me to be oily & perhaps I should be a dewy finish.
For now I'm going to stay matte & I'll be buying the l'oreal infillable matte foundation.
Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
Yeah Shana_Banana84 my skin is only dry in winter, and in  the warmer months is just becomes more combination-oily! 
k3r1pakai
1185 posts
Shana how do you find the lumi foundation? I have the foundation & primer but haven't opened it.
I chooseattempted finish because my skin seems to be quite hydrated & gets slick & oily when applying makeup. I'm not into the oily or dewy look,yet I'm into highlighters.
1 thing I do fine is my other products class with my bases so my blush & bronzers I use matte aswell but I still get slick by 3pm
chikoboo
3402 posts
I like both as I have combination skin some days are dry some are oily so I pick which will work best at that moment. My favourites at the moment is Rovie liquid foundation as it balances nicely on a normal day, Maybelline dewy fit me for dry skin days and L'Oréal Infallible matte foundation for oily ones.
MissQT
1547 posts
I like matte because I have oily skin. I'm currently using elf Studio flawless finish foundation. But at the moment my skin in dryer because of winter so if I had a dewy foundation I would wear it. Instead I'm wearing serum underneath my foundation.
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
Foundation and me used to have a love hate relationship. MAC has one I could use and looking back now when I touched my fave it would feel oily. Now I use rovie liquid and mineral. If my face feels dry I can wear liquid on its own. Or powder if it feels oily. I love wearing them both together.
I've started wearing my oasis bb cream again with translucent powder over the top
itsclearascrystal
2055 posts
I prefer matta slightly, but it depends on what look I am trying to create.
MareeB
5241 posts
I like a dewy finish - glowing with good health I hope!
alikat
423 posts
As an oily lass, I prefer to have my foundation matte. I've found out the hard way that any time I go near anything that says 'luminous' or 'dewy', I just look like I've got my makeup melting off. I did a dewy look the other night for dinner at Sky City, but I used Hourglass Ambient Lighting powders over matte foundation and I didn't look oily at all in photos!
shazatron101
5112 posts
Matte all the way for me. My face is oil city so while I don't shy away from "dewy" foundations, I don't rush out to get them either. Plus I don't need more oil on top of oil hahaha
chelseaadelaide
703 posts
Because I have oily skin I prefer a matte finish, but not powdery or cakey. By the time I use Rimmel Lasting Finish or Loreal True Match set with Australis Fresh & Flawless, spray with MAC Fix+ and apply highlighter I am happy with the finish :) 
Shana_Banana84
567 posts
K3r1pakai I find the L'Oreal Lumi Magique simply gorgeous!  I would never have spent $44.95 on foundation ever but after being given three test pots my farmers to find my undertones I am sold on it.  It gives my face a healthy glow without making it look like an oil slick.  I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a dewy finish and it's great because it works for people with yellow, red or green undertones.  I never understood all that until I was turned on to this one.  I guess from everyones answer it's mostly based on skin type as to whether you go for dewy or matte.  
jessickaxnz
1176 posts
As much as I love a matte look on others I'm fully a dewy girl. I can't do matte because my skin is super dry so it just ends up looking like I'm dead (not in a cool way either hahaha). 
Sarahbeautynz
1031 posts
Mine changes, depending on how dry my skin is at the time. I try to go matte when I need my makeup to last longer as dewy foundations just don't have the same staying power. Overall I prefer a dewy look though, I feel like it makes me look healthier!
Kellyleanne
551 posts
My skin tends to be dry, so I go for more dewy foundations as I find they just look better on my skin. When I wear matte foundations it just seems to accentuate the dry areas. So team dewy for me :-)
chloednz
217 posts
My skin is pretty normal I dont really have dry patches or oily breakthrough in general but I love the look of a dewy finish most of the time. Am keen to try the new dewy fitme, it sounds amazing!
Mila
1209 posts
I like to change it up depending on my skins mood. I'm mostly prone to dry skin so I do love a dewy finish. But i do also like the polished look a matte finish can bring. I love to use minerals and Liquids :) at the moment my fav finish is estee lauder double wear set with the hourglass ambient lighting powder
Pifithrin
1243 posts
Matte and mimimal. I usually just wear BB cream or concealer.
Koni
444 posts
Dewy :-) I have oily skin so even with matte foundation it still goes "dewy".

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!