Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Brush vs Sponge to apply foundation?

50 posts, 44 members
Freespin
4 posts
What do you prefer and why? I have only just started to become serious about my make up and brought a cheap Bella brush set on NZ sale to give them a test run. I am pretty happy using a brush for my liquid foundation but I am still curious about sponges. I am thinking about upgrading my foundation brush at some stage so I would appreciate reccomendations.
SandieNZ
424 posts
I prefer a brush by far - it gives me better control and a better finish :)
Filoaha
67 posts
I've taken to using a beauty blender type sponge recently, I feel like it gives a nice matte finish to the foundation. I do also have a paddle brush that I use for my primer and I really want to try using a large flat top brush like I've seen in tutorials. 

So I guess I'm a bit on the fence about the brush/sponge debate. I think a lot of it comes down to personal preference. 

Filoaha
67 posts
Sorry this has double posted for some reason.
Kellie
570 posts
I thought I preferred using a foundation brush, but then I got a sponge and that just gives me the nicest silkiest finish, and it's quick too.  Actually it's the speed I love the most about using my sponge.  Swipe swipe pat pat dab dab and done :)
kirstyj
1732 posts
I'm all for the brush! I hate sponges as I feel like they eat up the product rather than put it on my face. I also feel like it places the foundation on my face rather than blending it in. I like to use a buffing type brush that really gets the product into my face so it looks much more natural I find and I use less product than with a sponge.
Marcel
335 posts
Both, much quicker with a sponge but get a nicer finish with the flat top brush.
tannygirl
3392 posts
I use both. I'll use my BB sponge with my Garnier BB because well it's too dark for me so it applies thinner layer on my face than if I was using a brush and because it's a cheap BB I don't feel bad with the sponge sucking it up. When I want fuller coverage and want to go for a foundation I like to use a brush. The expert face and the buffing brush from RT are the ones I mainly use for foundation. I'll also use my BB to apply blush and powder sometimes although it needs to be dry for powder.
chikoboo
3402 posts
I use sponges, dampen slightly as it works best on my dry skin to not drag foundation or BB cream over it as it'll flake up and look hideous even with serum, moisturiser and primer all underneath!! I had a quick look at the search for foundation application and there seems to be quite a few other threads posted about the pros and cons of brushes, sponge and finger methods so I'd say take a look at past threads for more information, pretty sure BR also wrote an article on this topic too.   I'm not 100% sure but I think that each application works differently on each skin type for instance sponges on dry, brushes on oily, etc.  I could be wrong its just an observation on how my skin has reacted to different methods, I know for a fact that fingers are a no no unless its dire for me as I'll never get the smooth flawless look with them, its rather messy and turns out patchy =)
Mila
1209 posts
when using liquid foundation sponge for me works the best, I have dry skin and the sponge just seems to give a smoother better application than a brush for me.  I use minerals most of the time which needs a kabuki brush for application :)
Jennwgtn
26 posts
 for years I was a fingers girl but after getting more serious about makeup I have switched to a sponge for foundation and brushes for everything else. 
jessickaxnz
1176 posts
My skin is dry and I use beauty blenders to apply my BB Cream or foundation just because, as Chikoboo said above, a brush tends to micro exfoliate my skin and create dry patches. I also love the ease and quickness of using a sponge but I think you should experiment and see what you like the best :)
Jennwgtn
26 posts
 for years I was a fingers girl but after getting more serious about makeup I have switched to a sponge for foundation and brushes for everything else. 
Shazzaali
45 posts
I have oily skin and go for full coverage so I used a brush. I light to use my damp beauty blender sponge for a lighter coverage sometimes. It all comes down to your skin type and what kind of coverage you're after. Although I do feel that a sponge absorbs alot of the product.
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
I swapped to a beauty blender. I normally use a powder over the top and use a brush in circles to blend.
I used to use a brush and loved it. Found the blender gave a nicer finish for me. It uses more.product is the downside
100_percent_ash
488 posts
I use the bossy sponge which is really inexpensive and amazing for everyday use and getting a light and natural finish, particularly with BB cream.

I use a foundation brush on the rare occasions I go out at night but want a more flawless (or as close as possible with my bla skin) look.
Jesse
745 posts
I have oily skin and like full coverage so I use a brush. I have a Real Techniques blending sponge but I find it soaks up a lot of product (ouchie on my wallet!) and the finish isn'y as even or as full as I'd like on me.
Julieal
915 posts
I find a sponge the best as you can moisten to thin especially BB cream to give a nice natural finish.A brush is great for lips but sponge for larger surfaces and cremy mixtures.
K8D
59 posts
It depends on the foundation I am using and what condition my skin is in as to whether I use a sponge or brush.  If my skin is playing up and I am all oily & spotty I find a sponge works better.  If my skin is looking good then a brush.
Yup, I am still living under my rock.  I have never used a brush or sponge to apply foundation.  I am happy with the finish I get.  I wouldn't know where to start with using a brush or sponge. A BR girly weekend would be fantastic.  I am sure I would learn a whole lot off everyone in person  ;-) x

EnyaMUA
1109 posts
I hate flat foundation brushes, but I love love love my flat top kabuki style brush. And stippling brushes. That being said, I do enjoy my sponge too, definitely want to upgrade to a legit Beauty Blender though. 
Macs
5351 posts
Watching this thread closely. In desprate need of brushes and sponges. The Bossy line looks really good. I been using my fingers (No good aye lol) Wonder if anyones tried them.
chikoboo
3402 posts
Macs I'm using the bossy sponge at the moment, its my back up for the beauty blenders when they need a wash lol.  Its pretty good actually quite springy and blends just as good as the dearer beauty blenders.  I'd recommend it =)
chikoboo
3402 posts
Whittakers-lover you're going to have to come across to Dunedin when we do another BRA lunch/shopping date get together, we'll see you get a few more addictions going ;)
Pifithrin
1243 posts
A buffing brush for me. I find sponges suck up too much product and I find them harder to keep clean.
jaybeejack
116 posts
I am on the fence with this one lol. I switch back and forth all the time when applying my liquid foundation. 
One day I will use the Real Techniques Expert Face Brush  and swear by it, next day I will use the Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge and decide its better....... then it changes back again the next day. These two items are both wonderful though so you cant go wrong with either! For those that find a sponge sucks up too much foundation, remeber to use the sponge damp -it makes a huge difference! :)
MAGPIEFI
615 posts
I was sponge one day and brush the next but then I got my hands on the stippling brush and that's absolutely awesome. I get such a great finish with it it does take a we bit longer but worth the effort
Sugar_spice
23 posts
depends on the foundation I'm using, I use both for different foundations and also use my finger tips for some too 
StayClassy-xo
240 posts
I go through stages and tend to mix it up.  Most days I'll use a foundation and/or stippling brush but for a more flawless look especially if I'm going out I use my beauty blender sponge.  Because you wet it first then squeeze it out it doesn't absorb much product at all and I always love the result!  
Kellyleanne
551 posts
I love my real technique brushes,  they make my foundation look so natural and gives a great finish. I used to use sponges but prefer brushes now 
Angell
182 posts
For me, it depends on the foundation I'm using. Currently I love using a BB cream first, so for that I will use a Sponge, but then I apply a very thin layer of powder foundation and for that, I use an awesome brush. So my rule of thumb is, if it's liquid or mouse or cream, use a sponge and for powder, a brush. I guess it's mostly because I have never tried a brush with anything but powder :)
alliebygate
10 posts
I like to use a sponge as it gives a more airbrushed, natural finish. I brought a cheap sponge from farmers, kind of like a rip off of a beauty blender but far cheaper (i cant compair them though as i havent got the beauty blender) and i run it under warm water and ring it out then apply my foundation off the back of my hand and i find it personally gives a better application than a brush. Then again i have the real techniques expert face brush and thats really good too. 
Shana_Banana84
567 posts
For me i prefer a brush but then I haven't really owned the right sponge to apply foundation.  I find the brush is far easier to use to get in to all the creases and crevaces.  I find with sponges I tend to put on too much foundation and it wont rub in evenly and it leaves streaks.  So I will stick to my brush :D
Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
I love my sponge, especially for thinner foundations and bb creams, its just so quick and easy and gives a really nice natural finish. 
Sarahbeautynz
1031 posts
I love my beauty blender as I have dry skn, that's all I've used for months now. I am really keen to try a flat top brush though, to see whether it will work for me, as I think it would be good for times when I need a fuller coverage. Sponges tend to sheer the foundation out a good bit, which is great for day to day wear, but I like a fuller coverage on certain occasions!
Kaitlyn343
268 posts
I haven't used a sponge to apply foundation before but I love using my real techniques buffing brush. It's super quick and easy. 

:)
Tarsh
8 posts
I prefer to use a sponge, but I guess thats because im very new to makeup brushes the sponge os alot quicker and I find it easier to blend foundation with a sponge over a brush but again I havent had brushes for long so I shall start to experiment. :-)
Jubsxo
1 posts
I find that using my real techniques sponge is just like my beauty blender but much cheaper, makes my foundation and concealor last longer, otherwjse it just disappears because of my oily/combination skin
Lutece
1849 posts
For years I had been using a foundation brushes or the sponge wedges until I saw the beauty blender. After using the beauty blender for over a year I have never looked back, there are some great beauty blender alternatives for a cheaper option but I highly recommend a sponge for an airbrushed flawless effect :)
Rezee
1964 posts
I ususally use a brush because I find it heaps quicker but I decided to use my sponge the other day (I have a real techniques one), and I really liked how it made my makeup look. My skin is going mental in this weather,  super dry but I'm breaking out like crazy so I think the sponge worked better over my dry bits then what a brush does.
I used sponges for years until about a year ago when I discovered the beauty of a stipple brush or flat top for applying liquid foundation... so flawless. LOVE
Threw the sponges away and haven't bought any since :)
hughes_dre
229 posts
I've been using brushes for quite a while and I'm only just now a convert to the sponge.  It makes such a difference for me.  I don't get streak marks, I don't have to blend for 10 minutes to make sure I don't have lines around my face.  A damp sponge just makes it all so much easier and it's hydrating for my super dry skin.  I find the finish is a lot nicer so I'm a huge advocate for sponges!
triffid
151 posts
I used to use a sponge but now find a beauty blender is getter.
nice sharing!!
tannygirl
3392 posts
   If I am doing my makeup in the morning for the day then I like to use a sponge just because my sunscreen which has some zinc in it tends to pill if I use a brush plus the brush strokes really stand out in daylight. If I'm doing my makeup more towards the evening then I like to use a brush because I'm not wearing spf. I definitely blend my foundation but any tiny brush strokes aren't visible in softer lighting.
MareeB
5239 posts
I love my beauty blender - something I would never have bought if not for BR!
trudijoy
8375 posts
100% a buffing brush. I have two and they give the best finish <3
Macs
5351 posts
I use my sigma flat kabuki F80 and then go in with  my blender to smoothen it out only for full coverage. Light to medium then a blender.
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
I use my fingers then go over with my RT sponge. Sometimes just my fingers as it is what works best for me.
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Lisa-lou, phew! I was starting to think I was the only person who just uses their fingers! Also works for me and much easier to clean than brushes lol.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!