Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

best/must have MAC products...

27 posts, 15 members
Ringy
825 posts
My husband is in Canada for the weekend  ( I'm more than jealous!) and he is staying near the biggest MAC store he has seen in his life - admittedly I think he has only seen the counter at Christchurch airport so not much to compare it to! 

Ive had a quick look online and the prices seem really, really cheap for MAC in Canada so what do I tell him to get me?? Is their skincare ok? I've seen palettes of 9 shadows for $42 - is that a good price?

I welcome all feedback  and comments! Need to let him know by Sunday afternoon at the latest!

itsclearascrystal
2055 posts
I don't use a lot of MAC but their lipsticks, foundation and face powder would be what I've liked best and heard the best things about.
trudijoy
8375 posts
i've only used a few things.

on my 'def want again' list are:
- lipglass gloss (esp in Rebel)
- falsies mascara
- eye liners
- blush

on my 'would repurchase' list are:
- Pigment eyeshadows (get the smaller ones if you can, these last forever!)
- oil cleanser
- lipstick
- foundation - have only had samples but it was pretty good!
- eyeshadows

on my ' meh... nope' list are:
- strobe cream
- make up fixing spray
Ringy
825 posts
cool thanks I'll get both the NZ and the Canadian site up and have a compare of those things, make a list and maybe duck in store tomorrow and have a swatch! An encyclopaedia your are Trudi!
trudijoy
8375 posts
hahaha not so much - those are full of facts and i'm just full of opinions :p
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I love Mac BB cream and I'm hanging out for my next overseas trip to get some. Trudi, is Mac much cheaper in duty free in Oz than it is here? I also like their lipsticks, lip glasses, eyeshadows, face powders.......lol.  And yes, so much cheaper in North America than here. My friends in the States still consider Mac to be an expensive brand but it seemed cheap compared to what we have to pay for it. Also check Canadian site to see what limited editions are currently out there. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
soozie i'm not actually sure i'm sorry! Never bought MAC in aussie or duty free. I can check it out in Nov for you though. I have only bought MAC in Japan, in HK, at HK airport and in NZ, I think!
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Thanks, Trudi. I'm actually going to Melbourne in two weeks. Not sure my current BB is going to last until I get to the States in December. Hmmm......
Macs
5351 posts
I have Mac lipstick in Rebel I love it because it was a gift. The only thing I'm interested in trying is their foundation.
trudijoy
8375 posts
i had a wee scout soozie, and DJs stock it for $44 AUD if this is the right one.  Duty free could be a little cheaper - i THINK the duty free in Melbourne has a MAC store but i can't say for sure.  

Sorry I can't be more help :)
trudijoy
8375 posts
i can't find it on the Myer site but I think they sell it too. Mecca Maxima in Sydney don't stock MAC and I don't think Sephora do either - not sure about Melbourne
Ringy
825 posts
It's good to know about bb cream - it was on the list to test tomorrow and it will stay on the list now, pro long wear foundation is $40, which is $42 nzd so bargain! The bb is $38, so maybe $40 nz. 

Do do I even mention there is a Sephora right there too? 

Lucky its my birthday today, I don't feel so guilty asking for everything!
trudijoy
8375 posts
HAPPY BIRTHDAY RINGY!! <3
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Yeap, that's the one Trudi. I'll grab some if I see it in duty free in Melbourne. And if they don't have it, I'll just get it in the States. 

Enjoy those birthday treats Ringy!
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
Happy Birthday Ringy! I'm sure you'll pick some good stuff, I've only ever tried the lipsticks so can't really comment lol
Sarahbeautynz
1031 posts
Happy birthday, Ringy. What better present than a truck load of makeup!

I've heard those 9 pan palettes don't have the best eyeshadow formula, but have heard good things about their Lightful C skincare range.

I love MACs lippies, paint pots and blushes! I reeeally want one of their cream color bases, they're so pretty.
kirstyj
1732 posts
I have far too many MAC products so I can recommend a few :P

MAC Mineralise Skinfinish Natural - a beautiful powder I use every single day. I have been through so many of these it isn't funny.

Brushes - love my 130 stippling brush, 129 blush brush, and eye brushes 217 and 230. (Unsure if you wanted brushes but anyway...).

Paint Pots - beautiful cream bases. I have Bare Study still and it is a gorgeous creamy light gold shade that goes under anything.

Eyeshadows / Blushes - I have a few and love them, but they aren't anything special. Don't think you need to buy them.

Lipsticks - Fantastic. I have quite a few of these. Fav shades would be Rebel for a vampy shade, Craving (recommended from girls on here) for an everyday but still something shade.

Eyeliners - My fav is Teddy, a subtle sparkly brown. Going to have to repurchase soon, nothing compares. However other than this shade I don't think they are anything particularly fancy. If you have existing fav's you don't need to purchase.

Gel Eyeliners - they call them fluid lines... Too fussy for me. But if you are into that sort of thing they have some awesome shades.

Anyway... That is enough I'm sure :P ... Now I'm realising how much silly money I have spent on my collection!
trudijoy
8375 posts
i forgot about your love affair with the mineralize skinfinish Kirsty - maybe i need to try that one in my search for the perfect powder
Rajvee2588
221 posts
My personal favourite in mac is Mac Pro long wear foundation, mineralise skin finishing powder, Mac 217 brush, lipstick shade whirl. Hope your husband get lots of mac goodies. Don't forget to show us.
ragingfrog
1289 posts
What a wonderful husband to tell you of this Ringy. I will put up some votes for lipsticks because a girl can never have enough of those. Travel sizes as well for some of the items that your just not sure on, cleanser, mascara, lipglass. Maybe some limited edition items too
Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
I have a huge MAC obsession and I don't know if I am allowed to share this on here, but I did do a blog post featuring my favourite MAC products so I will link it here (but feel free to remove if I'm not allowed)

My fav products are the lipsticks (mostly for the colour range), paintpots, pro-longwear concealer, 217 fluffy brush, the 129 Blush Brush and I am sure there is more but it's too early in the morning for me to think of them.
Ringy
825 posts
He has been in and got my first list of things. I wanted a couple of 'look in a box' but they were all sold out! He said he would go back so I'm composing a second list( first list had those 9 eyeshadow things on it so I'm stuck with them if they are no good! Oh well!). Didn't think to get lip liners for all the lipsticks! And I'll add that powder. I got colour matched yesterday for pro longwear. Not sure about it tbh. 
beautygramnz
19 posts
I love their lipsticks, especially the nudes like Velvet Teddy! Also their eyeshadows are good and I've heard that the blushes are too.
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I can confirm that Mac is waaaaaaay cheaper in duty free in Melbourne than it is here. I just paid less than $40nz for my beloved BB cream which is $67 in David Jones in Wellington. It's no wonder I only ever by Mac overseas or on duty free. 

Trudi, the Mac stand is just next to the Benefit one at Melbourne duty free!
Pifithrin
1243 posts
MAC prolongwear paint pot in Groundwork. I wear it every day.

I'm going to Melbourne soon and am nearly out so may pick up a new one at duty free!
tannygirl
3392 posts
So far my favourite Mac product that I own is my Mac lipstick in Twig. It's just the right ammount of MLBB in the right shade of pink. After I bought it I find myself drawn to similiar shades like Fast Play when I'm out swatching lipsticks so I often have to swatch Twig to make sure I'm not doubling up on dupes.
sam_clarkson
205 posts
I haven't used alot of mac

I have had some samples of the foundations, the only one I liked was minerlise skin finish but not enough to buy the full sized

But I do LOVE my studio fix foundation and the fix plus spray,  I bathe in it

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!