Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

BB Cream - what do you use it for?

25 posts, 21 members
lenarose
313 posts
I have been hearing about BB creams a lot, and I'm still unconvinced that they're that groundbreaking of a product. I tried a sample of  Palmers one and it just looked like tinted moisturiser to me. A sample I tried of Missha's one felt nice on my skin but the colours weren't quite right as it's a korean brand and I have much more 'english' colouring.

I've also seen other people say they use it under their foundation - why?

If you wear BB cream, how and why do you wear it?
Kelli
73 posts
Some BB creams claim to help reduce freckles etc, and they are also usually carry a SPF, people do use it as a base for foundations, to give added coverage or just a little bit of coverage if you don't want to put on foundations or as a primer. I used one brand (Asian market one) and I liked it, but I did blame it for a breakout I've had since, but if it was the BB creams fault or I'm just looking to point the finger I don't know? But all in all I think BB creams are great, but like everything some are better then others and you just have to search to find the good ones :)
belindaledwards
111 posts
I have the clinique bb cream which I like, I don't use it as a foundation, but as a foundation base if I want a more night time look with full coverage. Don't know about any of the properties it has, or if they have worked for me, but it does work as a good base for me.
Xtinastar
165 posts
iv got the liole triple the solution BB cream and its the only bb cream i have tried. its super light (korean brand i think) but theres so much hype around it.. I really like it, i wear it under my foundation. It evens out my skin tone and hides all the redness. When putting foundation on over top tho, because the bb cream is quite thick, it does look like im wearing more makeup tho. Retails at around $30ish
LisaE5
447 posts
I have Lioele Beyond the solution but at the moment it is a little too dark on my skin, but matches perfect during summer. I use it as a foundation as it is quick and easy to apply and doesn't give you a cakey kind of look that a lot of foundations do. 
xjayloux
900 posts
Still yet to try a BB cream and not sure i will after falling in love with the maxfactor CC cream. I wouldnt use anything other then a primer or moisturizer under make up, that just seems like way too many layers suffocating the skin!
lenarose
313 posts
Thanks everyone! It's interesting to know what people think, but I can't see myself buying one any time soon.
Cat
474 posts
I use the missha bb cream, I enjoy it, and I've tried the lioele one (colour is way off for me) and I've tried skin79 brand. To be honest I don't really notice a lot of skin benefits, it's kinda like a tinted moisturiser (which I'm always down for anyway) 
hughes_dre
229 posts
I've been using a Garnier BB Cream in Medium.  I don't particularly like foundation so I use a BB cream to give me a bit of colour while still being able to moisturise my skin.  I, personally, quite like it.  It's light, doesn't look cakey, won't break the bank and it's perfect for every day use.

I only really wear foundation if I'm going to an event or night out.  My every day look (mostly for work) is: moisturiser, BB cream, blush, mascara.  That's it.  BB creams, for me, are a nice way to just give your skin a bit of a lift and even things out without looking like you have an entire cosmetics stand on your face.

Am yet to try a CC cream, but will get there eventually, but I'm really happy with BB cream for now.
funbeea
114 posts
I have tried a few. But they all leave my skin really oily. I don't normally have oily skin. So I felt like it was more of a moisturiser then an all in one.
mama2b1g
6 posts
I've just started using Garnier BB cream, I tried another brand a few months back and found it really heavy and gluggy on my skin. Garnier one seems to be very light feeling - have been using it in place of foundation, just to even out my skin a little, most days for work. 
analesha13
129 posts
Ive just tried my garnier BB cream and im not that impressed. The colour was supposed to be light but left me with visible lines and was quite dark!I also found it really heavy compared to the maybelline one.
1139 posts
I find the Garnier BB creams to be way too orange toned :( it's sad because the oil free one has a lovely finish and keeps my skin from going greasy but it's just so orange!
accidentprone_x
845 posts
I found that the garnier bb cream was okay but it required more product than a usual foundation used to cover my face so am just using it up and won't be buying product again
accidentprone_x
845 posts
I found that the garnier bb cream was okay but it required more product than a usual foundation used to cover my face so am just using it up and won't be buying product again
chikoboo
3402 posts
When I first got an Oasis Beauty BB Cream I threw out my normal foundation.  I have found that BB cream doesn't stain your skin, nor dry it out as some foundations do.  Usually with foundation I would put on a moisturiser and primer before hand then top with powder to hide the shine, even then my dry patches would get flaky by the end of the day.  But BB cream is like an all in one, now I just pop a little cetaphil moisturiser on after my face wash, then straight to BB cream that finishes with a powder effect and voila, blush, eyeshadow, mascara and out the door.  Plus skin doesn't flake, keeps shine free all day and no need for touching up. Don't think I'd ever go back to foundation again now
sophie123456
21 posts
I love using BB cream on those days where you don't feel like applying foundation and just want a low coverage look.
LisaE5
447 posts
I'm with you guys, the Garnier is definately orange looking. I was annoyed and didn't want to go straight to a foundation so found myself trying out the Maxfactor CC cream when Lioele is too dark aswell and the CC Cream is a good lightness and matches my skin perfectly.  
ieseon
67 posts
I am  BB cream type of person. I have more BB cream than foundation.  I use it all the time when I wear makeup.  I use it as a base, under my foundation or sometimes alone with powder to mattify my skin.  I find BB cream to be healthier than foundation.  I don't really break out with it and it doesn't make my face oily/greasy compared to foundation.  I prefer using the asian brands maybe because it is made for my skin type? and I find them to blend well and makes my face glow.  I have tried the maybelline bb cream with salicylic acid - I use it only because of the formula which is good for my acne prone skin however I find the texture greasy and doesn't really improve my complexion.
lizzien7
9 posts
Lenarose try out the Bobby Brown BB cream you'll be converted! It's great!
I totally get what you mean about thinking it seems just the same as tinted moisturiser I feel like the garnier one is just like tinted moisturiser (I''ve always just worn tinted moisturiser in the week & foundation when I go out!) but honestly the bobby brown one is great it's still like thin & sheerer then foundation but offers more coverage then tinted moisturiser! 
itskaz_xo
199 posts
Alot of bb creams out there (to me) are more of a tinted moisturiser. But the Lioele bb cream is a full coverage bb cream. Unfortunately it made me break out, so I can't use it anymore :( But the coverage was by far the best coverage i've ever seen in a bb cream and a foundation aswell for that matter.
tannygirl
3392 posts
I think the idea behind BB creams is a foundation, moisturizer, sunscreen and sometimes a few other things that are good for skin in one product. I do have a BB cream with the highest zinc concentration than I have found so far in any sunscreen so I wear it more like a sunscreen on days I'm going to be outside for long periods of time. The way I apply sunscreen I really don't recommend to apply foundation that way as I'm left with a greasy layer on my face, it doesn't look good but I really care more about my skin long term than short term. When I need to look nice or on a daily basis I use a moisturizer with SPF that's thinner and apply that then put my foundation over that as that way I can ensure I get a nice even layer of SPF protection rather than a greater concentration of sunscreen on some parts of my face where I want to cover blemishes and the areas where I don't need much coverage not getting much SPF. That's why I don't rely on foundations for sunscreen.
jessickaxnz
1176 posts
I use loreal a BB cream as an everyday foundation as regular foundation dries my skin out. For more coverage I use Skin 79s BB cream as a foundation as the texture and pigment is stronger. 
jessickaxnz
1176 posts
I use loreal a BB cream as an everyday foundation as regular foundation dries my skin out. For more coverage I use Skin 79s BB cream as a foundation as the texture and pigment is stronger. 
Imoshen
461 posts
I found the Clinique Age Defense BB Cream to be a really good all round product.  Great colour, great coverage, it's light so you feel like you aren't wearing anything, doesn't make your skin oily and doesn't transfer. 

Only problem I had with it was that my skin doesn't like Oxybezone so I tend to go for natural sunscreens (Titanium Dioxide/Zinc Oxide) which you find in the korean BB Creams.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!