Article posted by BR Natalie
Most of our members know that the Beauty Review team is dedicated to bringing New Zealand the best beauty review site possible. Without our members the site wouldn't work and so we try to ensure we listen to your opinions, that we reply to every message and give you the freedom to say what you want!
We think Beauty Review is already a pretty awesome website, both in look and content and as the product and review database grows we think it's important that we install some review standards; to ensure the reputation we've worked so hard to build continues.
So here's some tips for a great review experience!
Firstly - How to Place a Review.
To review a product we've sent you make sure you're logged in to your BR account.
You can review any product on the site (that you have personally used) to earn points - simply sign in to youraccount and locate the product you'd like to review. As long as you are signed in to your account, you'll find the option to review the product underneath the product information.
Here our the review standards that ALL reviews must meet.
1. Actually test the product. Swatching an eye colour on the back of your hand at the make up counter isn't going to give you much to say. It won't truly reflect the product, meaning the review won't be fair! Similarly a spritz of perfume over the counter will not be a true test as to how the perfume lasts on you, how it smells on your natural skin, whether you need a body lotion to add oomph the scent etc.
2. To really put a product to the test, try it over a few days. Note how your lifestyle and day to day activities affect it. Read the product information - does it do what it says it will? Is the product what you expected in consistency, application, texture? Did it last as long as it said it would? For products that specify a time frame (ie. "visibly whiter teeth in 14 days") at least trial it as directed for the time frame.
3. Pls dnt use txt spk! Short hand isn't a great way to describe a product to someone who's never used it, and well, it's annoying.
4. Keep it clean. Beauty Review has a diverse readership and everyone has a different opinion of what level of expletive is acceptable. If you wouldn't want it to be your child's first word don't use it!
5. Don't slander! We value your opinions, but please don't comment on the integrity of a product, brand, company or ingredients unless you can cite references for your information. For example "This product is bad, the ingredients are harmful". Other than scaremongering it provides no real information!
6. Don't write a 2 line review just to get points! Beauty Review Points are our way of rewarding you for helping to build the database of reviews. "I didn't like this product. Not for me" isn't going to influence anyone. We're not asking for a novel for every review, but if you really don't have enough of an opinion on a product then you might want to test it for a few more days, or just not bother reviewing it!
7. Check before you click post! If you can't understand what you've written no one else will! You might also pick up a few spelling mistakes, over-usE OF THE CAPS KEY or......................!?!!!!!!!!!!!!
8. Check your punctuation! If you were taught to start a sentence with a capital, and insert full stops at the end then by all means continue to do so here. Sentences starting with small letters and littered with small "i's" the middle look untidy and well...lazy.
9. Don't review a product you haven't used! If a family member is raving about a new product - use your Friends Referral Link and get them to sign up and review it!
What happens if we see a review that falls short of the mark?
We read every review. Seriously, we can't say that enough, and when we see a no effort review (particularly if we've sent you the product!) then we do put the reviewer on to our naughty list.
Generally we will message the reviewer and simply explain that their review isn't terribly useful to the site and invite them to amend it with more detail. If they choose not to that's fine, but they probably won't get selected for another trial in a hurry!
Repeat offenders do risk being blacklisted - and once you're on that list, there really is no redemption. You will not be eligible for trial selection again.
One last thing...
We love our members dearly and are grateful for the support, feedback and thousands of great reviews you have given Beauty Review during our first year. You're awesome.