By BR Amelia
While we can choose to start a better beauty routine at any time of the year, New Year feels like the perfect time - a fresh start for a new year. So what are the routines that we can up our game on this year? Check these out...
1. When it comes to cleaning brushes It's so easy to just think 'tomorrow, I'll do it tomorrow', but it's so easy for that tomorrow to turn into a month... or more. And during that month your brushes are being exposed to more product, dead skin cells, bacteria, general dirt. It's all a bit gross if you think about it too long. The internet will tell you to wash your brushes anywhere from every day to once a month. We're aiming for once a week. The pay off? Product applies better, skin is less likely to be irritated or break out, and your brushes will last longer.
2. Speaking of caring for our face by giving things a wash... If you haven't implemented a skincare regime then now's the time to start. It doesn't have to be a fancy ten-step K-beauty extravaganza, but committing to simply cleansing and moisturising your face twice a day (with products suited to your skin type) will leave your skin looking clearer, brighter and hydrated. Once you're comfortable with that you can add in a toner, serum, eye cream, exfoliant - and next thing you know you'll be like BR Kellie and spending forty odd minutes on her nightly routine and getting asked for ID at the tender age of 38.
3. You know what makes a person beautiful? Feeling good about themselves. You know what can help you feel good about yourself? Exercise. We're not talking in a physical manner here, either. We're talking mentally. A good bout of exercise can clear the cobwebs, give you time to sort out the stuff whirling in your head, and then there's that delightful endorphin boost. Whether it's a 30 minute power walk or a one hour boot camp, we think regular exercise is just the ticket for helping us feel fab this year.
4. Holding onto an eyeshadow palette that's way too old? Got a lipstick rollling around your purse that's been there since the Spice Girls came out but you're unwilling to part with it? Make this the year that you commit to keeping your cosmetics fresh. As we've said time and time again, cosmetics have expiry dates (read that article here), and keeping hold of them - and using them - can lead to infection, break outs, irritation. And ain't nobody got time for that.
5. Could we harp on anymore about sunscreen? No. We. Can't. If you're heading out then slap it on. The amount you need to use? Sunsmart.org.nz suggests that you use about half a teaspoon for your face, ears and neck, and one teaspoon on each of your legs, arms, and the front and back of your body.
6. If there's one part of your body that won't lie about your age, it's your hands. Those babies show the passage of time like nobody's business. BUT, you can at least halt that progression with regular moisturisation. So if you've not shown your hands the love they deserve, now's the time to start!
7. It's not just our hands that we tend to forget about - our poor extremities are left in the cold too! If your heels are hard and/or cracked, if your toenails are ragged and/or long, if your skin's feet are so dry they could be mistaken for that belonging to a lizard it's time to get down and get loving. Invest in a tool like Scholl's Velvet Smooth Wet & Dry Foot File and get exfoliating, then smother your tootsies in moisturiser, pop some socks on and let the goodness soak in. Before you know it you'll have fab feet!